Wednesday, April 23, 2008

Super street memory makes for happy converter funtimes

Photos are here.

I saw a Mac store while I was walking around yesterday. I went back there first thing this morning and the (very, very cute... everyone is cute here) young man behind the counter sent me across the street to an electronics store that carried converters. Everything in the store was covered in an inch of dust... even the stuff in display cases.

Since I'm kind of sick of typing, here's what I did today:
• Boat Tour - Since I consider being on boats a novelty, I got my novel fill and got the hell out.

• Rijksmuseum - Sort of the national Dutch art museum. I like Rembrandt, and some of his best stuff is in there, so I was happy.

• Diamond Museum - Utter bullshit. They let you watch a few people behind glass grind some diamonds, and then they send you through corridor after corridor filled with jewelry and cheap souvenirs that are for sale. It was free, but I still want my money back.

• Van Gogh Museum - I've never been a huge Van Gogh fan, and the Millais exhibit was the best part.

• Vondelpark - a very, very large park... call it Amsterdam's Central park, even though it's not central. I sat down for about five minutes, thought about whether I wanted to go back to the hotel bad enough to walk on my tender pups again, and then was relieved when the hotel was closer than I thought.

I'm'n'a go back to my favorite area tonight for dinner, and tomorrow morning I go to the Rhine Valley. Yay for train rides! (I get the distinct feeling that I won't feel that way by the end of this trip.)

I like Amsterdam. I'll come back someday.

2 comments:

a patron of the arts said...

We are working on booking a show there so you can get back, get back, get back to where you once belonged.

Anonymous said...

LOVE THE COMMENTS AND DESCRIPTIONS OF THE "GOINGS ON".. I THINK THAT I HAVE EATEN AT THAT SAME ITALIAN PLACE WITH A VERY BEAUTIFUL/ATTRACTIVE WOMAN, A FEW YEARS AGO. WE SAT LOOKING AT EACH OTHER THINKING, WOW, HERE WE ARE IN AMSTERDAM. IS EATING ITALIAN FOOD WRONG? WE ALSO HAD A BOTTLE OF CHIANTI.. (CHIANTI IS ACTUALLY THE DAILY WINE CHOICE OF HEAVEN..GET USED TO IT AND LEARN TO LOVE IT NOW AND YOU WILL BE A FEW STEPS AHEAD OF YOUR CONTEMPORARIES AT THE PREARLY GATES. AND, THAT'S NOT TO MENTION THE ENJOYMENT THAT YOU WILL HAVE OVER THE YEARS (HOPEFULLY MANY)BEFORE YOU ARRIVE AT HEAVEN. ALSO TRY TO WORK SOME BLUE CHEESE IN THERE TOO. GOD HAS CHIANIT AND BLUE CHEESE EVERY NIGHT. SO DO I. LOVE, DAD
P.S. THERE IS A LITTLE INTERNET CAFE A BLOCK NORTH AND TWO BLOCKS EAST OF WHERE YOU ARE STAYING. I WAS SENT THERE BY THE DESK PERSON AT OUR HOTEL TO SEND YOU GUYS AN EMAIL. IF YOU GO THERE, (IT IS YELLOW WITH BLUE TRIM) YOU WON'T BE ABLE TO PASS A DRUG TEST FOR YEARS. I HAD TO ASK A POLICEMAN TO HELP ME FIND MY HOTEL AFTERWARDS. YOUR MOTHER LOOKED 25 YEARS YOUNGER WHEN I GOT BACK TO THE HOTEL. I THINK IT WAS THE AMSTERDAM AIR. HAVE FUN SWEETIE.