Wednesday, May 7, 2008

It's a town for spending money

Photos are here.

Fortunately, I don't have cash for Bvlgari.

The train ride today was fairly unremarkable except for two things; the color of the rivers and the height of the mountains at the end. I saw a river that was clear and aquamarine... then I saw a river that was red as vino rosso. Then the Alps start to rise up, and there are a series of lakes in between mountains. If these are the foothills of the Alps, the real thing might make me collapse.

Tonight Lugano, a tiny resort town, tomorrow classic Switzerland in Grindlewald.

For dinner tonight I had the most delightful Caprese and a plate of French's mustard a sublime risotto with saffron. Yurm.

For desert, marmalade tart and cappuccino. The tart tasted basically like an orange fruit roll... the more or less generic ones that used to go in homemade lunches when you were in grade school, but with the flakiest crust I've encountered this side of the Atlantic. And this coffee after dinner thing is awesome, but it's keeping me up nights.

I walked down the hill and intended to take the funicular back up. Sadly, I did not find the funicular at the bottom of the hill! It was a hell of a walk back up the hill!

The bed in my room promises to be the most comfy yet. Oh, dear sleep, thou shalt be mine.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

We've walked that walk. Whew!
The caprese looks tasty, sounds like it was!

Michelle W. said...

I remember the train ride from Lugano to Interlaken, then on to Grindelwald. It's gloriously beautiful.