Saturday, May 10, 2008

OMG, Switzerland.



Guh. (That kind of says it all.)

I was afraid that I’d be cheated out of some spectacular views today (Thursday) because it was hazy/cloudy in Lugano. As the elevation rose, the clouds burned off, and I sat, mouth agape, trying to wrap my head around how spectacular these Alps are.

I mean, I wouldn’t be surprised if Switzerland has a national army of garden groomers on hand to clip every little blade of grass in the alpine meadows. Some rivers look like someone laid a huge piece of crumpled cellophane over some rocks, others look like they’ve had glass laid over them.

There are no words to do justice to the beauty of these mountains. There are very few words to describe how genuinely long the tunnels under them are. The trains emerge from them for about 1.12 seconds, just long enough for you to get an eyeful of the most picturesque thing you’ve ever seen in your life, then back into another tunnel. But it’s mostly just ridiculous views, towering mountains, classic looking Swiss chalet type deals, and goats.

The photos don't begin to capture the awesomeness. I will never be able to afford the camera that can.

I had to change trains in Lucerne, so I decided to skip one departure for Interlaken and try to find that bridge from the poster I had as a kid. Someone gave my sister a travel agency poster for Lucerne (which I grabbed when she moved out… was it Suzi who gave it to her?) many, many years ago and ever since then I’ve wanted to see it. I got about 50 feet from the main entrance to the station and I saw the bridge. In a lake. Filled with swans. And ducks. And yes, crystal clear blue-green water. I walked over the bridge, and there are paintings in the trusses of the roof… I think it must be the story of Lucern or Switzerland or something.

And I said to myself, “Oh man, I could really live here.” Seriously. I mean I could for serious live here. I grabbed a little snack for the train, and am now sitting aboard the “Golden Pass” rail line, waiting for departure. In a town I need to visit again. And again. And again.

On another thought, you’ve really got to hand it to the Swiss. Everything I’ve seen is spotless and charming, what’s modern is nice modern, what’s old is kept up very lovingly, everything is efficient, everyone cordial, and the standard of living looks to be a lot higher than most places I’ve seen thus far. All that and being isolationist (but friendly with neighbors), avoiding the EU, sustaining many different cultures in one country (FOUR national languages?! I’ve never even heard Romansh!) and making awesome watches, chocolate, and cheese.

Sigh.

Seriously, I could live here.

No comments: