Friday, May 2, 2008

On to Vienna

Day 5

Photos are here.

And here I am. I said goodbye to Vaclav and Vera at the station, and I even got a little choked up. The people I was wary of staying with are now good friends and I hope they come to the US soon.

They’re hilarious. Vaclav had this thing he did every time he had a new beer. I’ll show it to you when I get home.

Czechs eat a LOT. And often. I never once had a hunger pang the entire time I was there. In fact, I really wanted to turn down the 4th, 5th, and 6th meals of the day, but didn't want to offend them. If I said no, they pushed me until I ate.

They also eat fast. I often think that I eat too fast, but these dudes were lapping me at every meal. There's no pause between forkfuls at all.

They drink a lot “for their health and their strength.”

I may not eat or drink for the rest of my trip. For the 4-hour train ride, they gave me a bag with three sandwiches, four apples, two beers, and a bottle of that revolting liquor (Becherovka, said to aid digestion... ha) everyone seems to love. I hate to say it, but that one will even be opened.

Vera told me that the dreams you have on the first night in a new place are about your future. I’ll have to remember the dreams I have tonight in Vienna.

--

After I arrived in Vienna, I rested and then took a walk and stopped into St. Stephen's Cathedral where some kind of concert was being set up. I was kind of excited until I realized it was that sort of modern non-denominational rockin' church kind of choir complete with bad digital piano (Tamara and Brad know what I'm talking about). I left in a hurry.

I got a slice of pizza and a gelato, and I was happy to go to sleep early.

1 comment:

Michelle W. said...

just caught up on your Prague posts. Why am I thirsty?

Can't wait to meet the Knoureks one day soon. They sound like wonderful people.