Saturday, May 10, 2008

Sputtering in disbelief

Photos are here. (For previous post as well.)

Going through the Berner Oberland for the first time was an experience I wasn’t expecting, and one that I wish I could do again for the first time.

My father was right. I had seen some dazzling things, but it was all [um, something not worth looking at] compared to Switzerland.

Each bend offers higher peaks, deeper valleys, sweeter cottages, and bluer sky. Breathtaking doesn’t cover it. Nothing does.

And then one last curve in the tracks reveals the most stirring and striking thing you've seen yet. You arrive in Grindelwald… in the valley at the foot of the Eiger. It’s a sheer drop from the top of that one, and it’s amazing that anyone has ever climbed it. You stand like a doofus looking at it between the train station and the hotel, and for the first time in your whole trip, you don’t care that you look like a tourist. You snap too many photos of it, then you finally go to your hotel.

So that’s what I did.

I ate some mindblowing fondue and had a delicious beer, and then I went to sleep.

No comments: